Jailbreak charity event to take place despite Coronavirus concerns

A Nottingham Trent Students Union (NTSU) jailbreak challenge is set to go ahead despite an upsurge in cases of Coronavirus.

Concerns had been raised due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus, with over 84,000 cases of the illness being reported worldwide, but the ‘jailbreak’ event is still set to go ahead on March 24.

Students from NTU will aim to travel as far as possible from Nottingham without spending any money, raising money for a number of charities.

Over 50 cases have been reported within the UK but the event will continue as planned according to the Students Union.

Sam Arnold, Opportunities Coordinator for the SU, said: “We are currently monitoring the situation regarding Coronavirus and will continue to do so until the date of the event.

“We will provide advice to all participants with regards to suggested destinations and where not to visit.

“Participants will be able to make the decision themselves if they still wish to take part, based on the advice that is provided by Public Health England.”

The illness first appeared in Wuhan City, China, shortly before Chinese New Year.

NTU has a number of international students who originate from China but the university has previously said they have no concern about the virus affecting current students.

A university spokesperson said: “The safety and welfare of our students and colleagues is always our first priority.

“Along with other universities, NTU is monitoring the situation with regards to the coronavirus very closely.

“We have an international staff and student community at NTU and will follow appropriate advice from relevant agencies.”

Guidance on protecting yourself from the virus can be found on the Public Health England website here.

This article was initially published online for Platform Magazine, on March 5, 2020.

0 Shares

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *