Billy Knott Chelmsford City

‘It’s Been a Very Hard Couple of Years’ – Billy Knott Reflects on Chelmsford City Spell

Former Chelmsford City midfielder Billy Knott has apologised to Clarets fans after being released.

The midfielder was released by the club on May 3 as Robbie Simpson began an overhaul of the squad.

The 27-year-old spent just over a year with the Clarets after joining from Concord Rangers in March 2019.

But, with City not in action for two months and the season concluded due to the coronavirus pandemic, the former Bradford City midfielder has spoken about his time with the Clarets.

In an interview with the Essex Echo, Knott said his 12 months with the Clarets had not hit the heights he had hoped for.

“It wasn’t great for me at Chelmsford on and off the pitch,” he said.

“I lost focus and didn’t do myself or Chelmsford fans any favours and I’m gutted for that to be honest.

“I apologise to them because they were great with me but they didn’t see anywhere near enough from me.”

Knott’s Personal Struggles Continue

Billy Knott made 33 appearances for Chelmsford City, and added his personal battles with depression and alcoholism continue.

He said: “It’s not been great for me lately to tell the truth and I know I’m at a crossroads now.

“To be brutally honest it’s embarrassing for me that people will see this.

“Those who know me will know exactly why I’m saying this and I have to plead with them to let me have the chance to earn the respect back over time.

“I’m with my fiancé and her two kids as well and honestly I have never loved someone like this before. But my antics and attitude off the pitch is killing that as well.

“She is an incredible person and I’m on the verge of losing that as well. It’s got to a point where I can’t let that happen.

“I need to change for her, myself, the kids, my family and my friends It’s been a very, very hard couple years to tell the truth.”

The midfielder was part of the City side defeated by Welling United in last year’s play-off semi-final, but the Clarets have under-performed this season.

Boss Simpson stated inconsistency played a key role in letting the former Bantams midfielder go

He said: “Billy is an extremely talented player but he struggled for consistency in terms of fitness last season.

“Therefore, I feel we are unable to offer him terms a player of his calibre would expect. He moves on with all our best wishes for the future.”

Squad Building for Next Season

Simpson has moved swiftly to start building the squad for next season.

The former MK Dons player has retained the services of Elliott Ward, Danny Imray, Tom Wraight and Andy Fennell.

Anthony Church remains with the club after being confirmed as club captain.

City have also handed Guy Norton a deal with the first team after the 17-year-old impressed with the Under-18s side.

Alex Teniola and Callum Harrison have both joined the club from Heybridge Swifts and AFC Sudbury respectively.

3 Shares

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *